Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:06 PM
Thought I'd start a thread to share some pics and to help keep me focused and motivated to finish this huge pile of minis. I'm quite an experienced painter, but very recently bought an airbrush and am back to being a beginner again. My aim with Sedition Wars is a decent tabletop standard with as little effort as possible. Therefore I'm using lots of airbrushing, batch-painting and inks/ washes. Quite different to my usual style. This is a necessity as I have 2 kids under 3yrs, so painting time is extremely limited. Anyway. Onto some pics. The first three test Samaritans:
and a test Scyth Witch. The rear shot shows the iridescent metals a bit better. There are golds, greens, purples and silvers in there which don't show up very well in the pics:
What do you think?
Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:50 PM
Kryts; I'm using the airbrush for basecoats, then a preshade (spray from underneath the model with a darker shade) followed by an initial zenithal highlight. With the scythe witch I reversed this to have a darker metal on top with a lighter gold underneath. Then I hit the models with washes before tidying with brushwork. Definitely quicker than all brushwork.
I also painted all the bases in one go with the airbrush. If has limitations, but I'm enjoying finding its uses!
Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:22 PM
One change you could make that would really help these pop, imo, would be to make the helmet visors darker on the sides and brighter in the middle. This would be a good place to spend some time on a smooth blend. You could also add a narrow line of pure white in the center as a reflection.
I know your aim for these was reasonably fast good tabletop standard, and you have great results without spending too much time by the looks of it. But I've found that one good way of getting a little extra mileage when doing fast tabletop painting is to pick a focal point on each miniature to paint to a higher standard, and the helmet visors would be a good candidate for that.
Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:37 PM
Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:07 PM
Gooey and disgusting.
My wife, who usually casts an eye over finished minis, couldn't look at it. Job done!
Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:35 AM
Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:12 AM
After a spray varnish I applied Tamiya red to the exposed muscle and gloss varnish to the mouth and tongue.
Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:04 PM
Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:46 PM
Your Vanguard are looking good too love the Hurley, some very clean painting and some good use of freehand. The red makes for a nice spot colour and could be a good choice for unit markings.
Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:16 PM
No problem. Though bear in mind a couple of things: I used an airbrush (but only for speed - you can get the same results with a brush easily), and I use some Games Workshop paints from their old range. That given, I'll list colours that are new GW, or non-airbrush equivalents:
Undercoat with skull white primer spray.
Dark Metals: Basecoat Leadbelcher; wash heavily with Nuln Oil. Once dry, wash again if it looks too bright.
Claws: Basecoat Runefang steel; wash with Nuln Oil.
Teeth: Basecoat Balor brown; highlight Ushabti bone.
Flesh: Wash all over the white undercoat with Carroburg Crimson. Again, wait for this to dry and then apply another wash. Wash the muscle, mouth and tongue with Druchii Violet . Wash the tongue with Drakenhof Nightshade. Highlight the skin areas with slightly thinned Kislev flesh.
Green lights: Thin down Moot green with water. Wash the lights with it to create the glow. Once dry, paint the centre of the lights with White scar.
Spray the whole model with Purity seal. Once dry Varnish the mouth and tongue with 'Ardcoat and apply Tamiya clear red liberally to the exposed muscle areas. You can be a bit messy with this - it is gloopy blood after all.
Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:23 PM
Thankfully these are plenty quick enough that I've taken althai's advice and spent a bit more time on visors:
Onto some phase 1 strain next so I can finally play a game!